From:
Amalia Skarlatou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:21:39 -0400
Hi,

As a master’s student in History and Archives at the University of Maryland, I’m

interested in researching how online digital archives, exhibits and collections make minority narratives—

usually not part of mainstream history—widely available and accessible. I use the

overarching term “minorities” to include ethnic, racial and religious groups, indigenous

peoples, women, LGBT groups, people with disabilities, and immigrants; in short,

communities that usually are not agents in the archival and museum world.

In order to collect examples of digital archives and collections of or about minorities in one place, as well

as literature on the subject and tools that may be useful for developing such projects, I’ve

created a wiki called “Digital Homelands” (www.digitalminorities.pbwiki.com).

Digital online archives, collections, and exhibits can be thought of as transplanted online "homelands," where identities are

being shaped, contested and projected and where the assumption of our Western

archival practices is being challenged.

The wiki is in no way complete. In order to include as much material as possible, I would

appreciate contributions of archives, collections, projects or ideas on this subject.

If you would like to send your thoughts and for more information, please e-mail me

at [log in to unmask] or visit and contribute to my wiki at www.digitalminorities.pbwiki.com.

Please excuse any crossposting.

Thank you,

Amalia S. Levi