From:
Michael Radice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:30:56 EST
        Here are two, student-directed, distance learning options.  When I say
"student directed," I mean that the universities don't have prescribed
courses.  The student designs her or his program with the faculty, using a
mentorship/independent study format.  Consequently, the person has to be self-
motivated as well as able to deal with some gray.  The school's programs
aren't for people who need to be told what to do, step-by-step.  One of the
perks of going this route is that there is room to be creative.  At
traditional universities, you're stuck with whatever you're "told" to do.
What you're told to do is usually based on what is versus what could be.  At
Union and Goddard, you're free to go the extra step.
        Both universities are accredited and have long traditions:

The Union Institute:  <  www.tui.edu  >  This is the university I attend.  My
doctoral        program is in Public History.  There are other students majoring in
museum
        studies.  There is no master's program at Union.  There is a residency
        requirement, but it is done in a series of chunks, spread over five-day
weekends
        throughout the program.  You'll commence the program with a 10-day,
        residential,  colloquium.
Goddard College:  <  http://www.goddard.edu/ >  Goddard has an individualized,
        self-directed, master's degree program.  You can design a master's in
        museum studies.  It is my understanding that they have a residency
requirement
        that is a tad similar to Union's.

Take care to all,
Mike Radice