From:
Michelle Boardman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:35:01 PDT
Most of the textiles in our collection,including our hats, have sewn in
cloth accession tags.  The accession tags come on a small roll, are about
1/3 of an inch wide, and are preprinted with the iniatials of our Museum.
We cut one off and add the accession number in permanent ink appropriate to
cloth (that won't bleed into the textile should it ever, heavens forbid, get
wet in a flood or other disaster).  You could probably buy such cloth tapes,
sans initials, at a fabric store. However I would wash before using as the
manufacturer might have used a finish that would make the product
inappropriate for use with a museum collection (the finish might off gas or
break down).  The tag does not need to be firmly secured in the way you
might stitch a button to a shirt.  Just a few tiny tacking stitches in two
corners of the accession tag will do the trick in a spot where it will not
show if on exhibition.  Many furs have linings, as do some hats, and the
lining is always a good place to sew a tag (that way you don't have to
stitch into the actual textile).  Avoid weak spots in the textile, hat, or
fur when sewing the tag on.  Although we do not have furs in our collection,
I do remember that the Canadian Conservation Institute has produced
materials on how to handle such objects.  You could also try the Chicago
Historical Society, they have a wonderful hat and costume collection.  The
Valentine Museum might also be helpful as they have one of the largest
costume collections in the U.S.

Michelle Boardman
The Kate Fowler Merle-Smith Curator of Textiles
Allentown Art Museum
31 N. 5th Street
Allentown, PA 18101
610-432-4333,ext. 24