From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:37:41 -0400
Dillenburg, Eugene 8/24/98 2:01 PM [log in to unmask]

>And as one or two postings have already hinted, Christmas
>is the biggest holiday of the year in the USA (largely for non-religious
>reasons).  Ignoring this fact because not everyone celebrates strikes me
>as odd.

I was one who earlier questioned why an institution would want to risk
alienating a portion of their population with religious and cultural
symbols when their display is tangential, or even absent, from the
institution's mission. I was not  trying to say an institution should
necessarily ignore the holiday nor that it was wrong to display
decorations. (I did use the term "right" but used it in the context of
permission, ie it is a museum's RIGHT to display the decorations, but
also a visitor's RIGHT to not come to your museum)  I was merely trying
to bring into consideration the idea of audience and mission and the
relationship between the two.  As far as I am concerned there is no right
or wrong on this issue.  Each institution must walk this line, among so
many others, and decide for themselves.

For example I work at a Railroad Museum.  Although religion and culture
is inextricably linked with the people who invested, built, and road on
the railroad  there is little direct connection with the celebration of
Christmas.  We therefore have opted for a small display inside of a
caboose that people can easily avoid if they choose. We also host an
excursion to a local holly tree that palyed a role in the B&O Railroad's
holiday celebrations.  Again, easily avoided and ignored by those wishing
to do so. This is how we are trying to strike the balance  It is far from
perfect and may not be everyone's solution, but there we are.    Doing an
exhibit, as many suggest, (and seems appropriate for their museums)
explaining the origin of winter holidays or holiday symbols would be
inappropriate for us.  It's not that we are ignoring the holiday.  It's
that we are putting our limited resources into our mission (History of
the Railroad) and not into decorating the place just because we can.

I was originally distressed that so many people were labeling as
intolerant those who voiced uncomfortableness with Christian symbols in
the museum.    The issue is not one of tolerance or intolerance, but the
good of our institutions and the achievement of our missions. I find most
people to be very tolerant.  Unfortunately they tend to practice this
tolerance by not patronizing an establishment.  How many of you do not go
to a particular restaurant, shop, or museum because of some experience
which you found objectionable or were made to feel unwlecome for whatever
reasons.  Would you want to make others feel that way about your own
institution if you could mitigate or avoid it?  I am not saying that
decorating is bad  or you should ignore holidays.  I am saying that you
need to balance mission, audience & community, as well as the successful
care for the objects, buildings, and heritage that have been placed in
your trust.  How you end up solving this is up to you and your
institution.

And, to anticipate an argument, I do not think it is totally a museum's
goal to remain comfortable to all guests.  There are issues on which it
is desirable to make people feel uncomfortable (not necessarily
unwelcome.)   My institution, for example, mounted an exhibit on train
wrecks a while back that made many people feel uncomfortable, especially
the railroad industry.  I also hope that someday we will confront the
issues of Jim Crow laws on the railroad, which I am sure will make people
rethink the image of railroads in our society and make those who venerate
that image uncomfortable.  But, again, these topics are in tune with our
mission.  You must pick your battles wisely.

Matthew White
Director of Education
B&O Railroad Museum