From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:37:59 -0400
Oh, I think the photography exhibition "Without Sanctuary" organized by
and currently showing at the Chicago Historical Society is something
related to lynching that opens a dialogue. I encourage anyone in the
vicinity to view these powerful images of what Billie Holiday
called "Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees."

http://www.chicagohistory.org

Lynching is an ugly chapter in American history. I believe it deserves to
be examined, discussed, railed against, vilified, and the subject of art
and photography exhibitions.

I risk steering this conversation off course but...I believe the only way
to keep atrocities from being repeated is to acknowledge their existence
head on and keep alive memories of their occurence. I feel the same way
about hate speech...say the words and you'll believe them.

Diane Gutenkauf

<snip>