From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:31:00 -0800
        Please re-read the guggenheim's posting. This appears to be
another example of using tradmarking to avoid the restrictions of
copyright. These claims are of course laughably overstated
("words"? having to get permission to link?) but the guggenheim apparently
thinks that threatening to sue supposed violators somehow makes their
content unique, and, apprently, valuable, as they supposedly intended to
to use the site to generate masses of money.
        In terms of frames, I've seen many sites displayed this way and I
have never seen any presented falsely. They can be inconvenient for readers
who wish to bookmark that site or link directly to it themselves, but
then I think that frames themselves are often misused. In any case, the
guggenheim administration has apparently proved itself to be spectacularly
incompetent, having spent itself almost to death on follies such as a
twenty million dollar Web site.

        Adrienne DeAngelis, editor
        Resources in Art History for Graduate Students
        (http://www.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)

" "The names, logos, designs, titles, words, metatags or phrases