Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:49:46 -0600
I agree with you regarding the personal nature of these items.  The
majority of hair jewelry, wreaths, etc. were associated with the death
of a loved one and (in my opinion) should be treated with the respect
due any funerary artifact.  Whether or not the hair wreath is funeral or
death related, this is an historical artifact that was donated or
purchased for it's historical value....if donated, I'm sure the donor
thought that by placing it in a museum it would receive proper
care/treatment.  Isn't that what museums are suppose to do....preserve
and protect history for future generations?   The only possible disposal
of this item should be to transfer ownership to another museum that has
need of this form of artifact.  If you cannot locate a museum in Indiana
that has need of this....we would be happy to have it in our collection!

Sharon
Belle Meade Plantation
Nashville, TN