From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 13:03:48 -0500
Hi Jill!

I recommend checking out:

        http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/index.asp

On the "About" page
(http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/about_information_s
tandards.asp), I read:

        ". . . in the perspective of 50,000 new products each
        year - which is the (rather amazing) output of the U.S.
        publishing industry over the last few years. This
        characteristic of the publishing industry, that each
        new title, new edition, new binding, is treated as a
        separate new product is one of the major obstacles
        to unique and meaningful product data transmission
        within the publishing industry."

The implication: A revised edition requires a diffeernt
ISBN.

In the FAQ from the United States ISBN Agency
(http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbnqa.asp), I
found:

        "What is the purpose of an ISBN?
        "The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify
        one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher
        and is unique to that edition, allowing for more
        efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries,
        universities, wholesalers and distributors."

Again, if you have this book reprinted in a revised edition
by a different publisher, you'll need a new ISBN.

But, ultimately, check with:

        U.S. ISBN Agency
        630 Central Avenue
        New Providence, NJ 07974
        Tel: 877-310-7333
        Fax: 908-665-2895

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)       www.joslyn.org