From:
Art Teacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:55:08 -0700
It's Fun to be Green at the Museum
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

It's Fun to be Green @ the Museum

Enroll Today Starts July 22, 2013

Comments from the last class included:

I really enjoy creating the recycled planters with my students. It was
fun to give them the opportunity to create but also the component of
actually planting of a plant. I like getting new ideas and would love
to hear more ideas on museum based projects for young students.

I have been inspired by the Georgia O'Keefe flower paintings. I would
love to look at one of her pieces of artwork and discuss the purposes
of flowers for plants. After our discussion, students could create
their own version using construction paper. I was inspired by the pin
on pinterest from one of the discussions for this activity!

I am inspired by the video about painting with fruits and vegetables. . .

Course Title-It’s Fun to Be Green!   Looking at Art with "green" eyes
for Curators, Museum Educators, Docents, Volunteers, Teachers, and
Homeschool Parents (Ages 5-12 Emphasis)

Take this class as an individual or as a group of docents, museum
educators, teachers or homeschool parents.

Course Description-This workshop looks at art with a green
perspective.  Long before it was popular to care about the environment
artists such as Monet, van Gogh, Moran, and others appreciated and
were instrumental in helping others to see the beauty and power of
nature.  Georgia O'Keeffe helped us to see flowers up close much like
a camera.  The Da Da and Assemblage artists used recycled objects in
their art.  The Pop, and Earth artists explored conservation and eco
themes in their content. In contemporary time period artists such as
Wyland help us to understand the importance of Ocean life through his
talented compositions.  There are many artists using recycling themes
or materials to create their own unique style and inspire others.
This workshop shows you how to discuss and direct young museum
visitors to ecological insights while learning about art.  You will
also discover hands on projects and green activities to share with
your young museum visitors.

Instructor Valerie Colston, M.A. is an author and university art
instructor with many years of experience developing and teaching art
programs.  While a student at the University of California, San Diego
she was an intern at the Contemporary Museum of Art, San Diego and
manager of the student gallery on campus.  Later, as owner of La Jolla
Arts Tours she led groups of all ages through museums and galleries
locally in the San Diego and La Jolla, California area and was the
producer of the locally aired paid program "Gallery Close-Up."    Ms.
Colston, was an art consultant contributing art projects idea to the
Wyland Foundation Ocean Challenge program for elementary teachers.
Her book 200 Projects to Strengthen Your Art Skills published by
Barrons Educational Series has received outstanding reviews appearing
in School Library Journal, National Art Education Association
newsletter, and more. Her It's Easy to be a Green Teen  appeared in
the youth librarian publication Voices of Youth Advocates magazine.
She recently received a recommended review from Teacher Librarians
magazine for her Teens Go Green! Tips, Techniques, Tools, and Themes
for Young Adult Programming published by Libraries Unlimited 2011 .