From:
Jenny Strayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:24:22 -0500
Dear list members,

I wonder if anyone out there could provide me with some leads concerning an
unknown image which presented itself today in the museum.

The puzzled owner brought in a colored lithograph on what appears to be a
tin backing.  The whole thing measures about 23" h x 17" w.  The gauge of
the metal is similar to that used in daguerreotypes - some give, yet rigid
enough to stand vertically without bending.  No marks on front or back.  It
had been in a frame, but has since been removed by the owner (who did not
bring the frame to the museum).  He discovered the thing in an old house in
St. Louis which had been owned by "an Italian family" for many decades until
purchased by this fellow.

The image is a religious one, depicting Mary holding a book open, pointing
to something in the pages for the benefit of a smaller (female?) figure who
is golden-haired and halo-ed.  A vase of lilies is to the left; two roses
scattered on the floor.  On the right is a stand with another book, which is
also open.

I would greatly appreciate any educated guesses about the origin, period,
materials or use of this item.  Similarly, if any of you know of a likely
source of enlightenment (published or otherwide), I would be grateful to
learn of it (and so would the interested new owner.)

Thank you much for your help.

Jenny Strayer, Ph.D.
Museum Director
SE Missouri State University