From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:33:25 -0500
Hmmm. Re varieties of news, I have a little shortwave radio which i use to
catch BBC and Deutsche Welle (SP?) late on winter evenings here in the
midwest USA. Does anyone else do this too? I don't understand cricket
scores (500 for 30 with 75 overs and lunch for 16 at noon without
reservations and bring a few friends, continued tomorrow on another
continent--or something like that), but that's part of the appeal: a
different set of priorities and a different outlook.

Re the lists of "event-ions" and such, a book called "Does Technology
Drive History?" will set you to thinking deeply regarding "technological
determinism." This is one of the latest discussions in the
history of technology field. It's a good collection of essays, esp. for
those in science and technology museums.

That's my two cents (pence, pfennigs, etc, not adjusted for inflation)
-Doug

Doug Lantry
The Ohio Historical Society
Statehouse Education and Visitors Center
Columbus, Ohio