From:
Betsy Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:06:39 EST
This question has really opened up a most interesting self study!  I am
realizing that those parts of the country with long-settle community and
ethnic origins all seem to have traditions.  But here in Colorado, where
about 50% of the population has transplanted during the past 25 years, we
have no traditions, but rather a real mish-mosh of creativity and
one-upmanship.  In fact, if there is one thing that is standard here, it's
the need to be different!  People will borrow ideas, be influenced by
something, or select elements to recreate, but every wedding and reception
seems to have it's own flair.

I have been to a wedding atop a ski area, requiring guests to take two
gondolas before we even arrived to the lodge.  Ice sculptures, caviar,
crab-stuffed shrimp, filet mignon and an open bar was served to 250 guests.

I have also been to a wedding, well sort of, that didn't start with the
ceremony, but rather with a BBQ at the base of the foothills west of Denver.
The groom and his friends spent the afternoon hang gliding while the bride
engaged everyone else in volley ball.  After the party, the happy couple
jumped on a plane to Vegas for the actual ceremony!

At another wedding, the bride and groom gave all of the guests a map to find
a pull off in Rocky Mountain National Park.  We all stood in a field while
they got married, then piled back in cars back to their place for cake and
champagne.

As for wedding soup, we get that from the deli.  Who knew there was a
tradition!