From:
"Harding, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:07:54 -0400
Amy--I'm not sure when it was initiated, but when I was a schoolchild in
Illinois in the 1960s, we had to pass a "flag etiquette" exam in order to
pass out of 6th grade.  Burning the flag was the only approved method of
disposal [sidebar--I wonder how people who advocate a constitutional
amendment making flag-burning a criminal offense deal with this topic].  I
also remember reading about it in a book written in the 1940s.  So the
practice is at least 60 years old.

Deborah Harding
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
412-665-2608