From:
Russ Arledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:21:23 -0400
Hi all,

I designed the layout, restored and installed all of the machinery in the Carriage Shop exhibit at the Ohio Historical Society. The exhibit has been running 8 hours/day, 7 days/week, since 1989.

The carriage shop is powered by a constant speed electric motor/gear reduction final drive unit, coupled to a sprocket/chain drive which powers the line shaft. The speed of the electric motor/gear reducer is calculated so that the line shaft, steam engine, and wood working equipment rotates at only one-third of its normal operating speed. I attribute the success of the exhibit running all these years to the slower speed, and the fact that I poured all new Babbitt bearings in all of the equipment, and I use synthetic oils and grease on all bearing surfaces. I inspect the carriage shop daily/weekly, and perform routine maintenance (oiling, adjustments, etc.) monthly.
The exhibit has a four foot high clear Plexiglas barrier topped with label panels around the perimeter, and motion sensors located within the interior to stop the carriage shop should anyone breach the barrier. There are also security cameras positioned so that our security staff can monitor the carriage shop during hours of operation, and they can stop the carriage shop remotely from their monitoring station if they need to. The carriage shop is started at 9am by our security staff and shut down at 5pm every day. Although the carriage shop machinery is in motion all day, the machinery is not being used or demonstrated thereby eliminating the danger of flying debris.

If anyone has any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Russell P. Arledge
Collections Facility Manager
Collections, Historic Preservation & Statewide Outreach
The Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43211-2497, USA
614.298.2051 // Fax: 614.297.2233