From:
MARY SEDDON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 11:03:45 GMT
Announcement:

International Malacological Congress
UNITAS MALACOLOGIA:  VIGO, SPAIN  September, 1995

Those of who received your second circular will see that there is a
workshop session planned on Computer Databases, organised by Elaine
Hoagland & Liz Platts.  This is viewed as a structured, but informal
meeting to discuss mutually interesting topics, for mutual benefit!

As an interested party I am helping Elaine draw up a list of
topics/personnel who wish to participate in discussion at the
meeting.

The current topics which could be on the agenda are:

Collection Management (joint with Musuem Curators Group?)  Comparison
of existing specimen & taxon based databases re: standards & eventual network

              Global Standards for data-base construction- practicality or dre
am?
              Collections data on Internet/WWW?
              Security of data
              Networking.

And if there is sufficient demand possibly "Getting started - the
curators experience - lessons to be learned?" Who does the work -
curators or computer assistants?

Taxonomic Data-bases/Computer Keys:  Software Demonstrations
       ETI taxonomic data-base programmes (Linnaeus)
       Delta

Mapping Systems and GIS
       ETI  mapping package Magellan?
       European Invertebrate Survey - where is it going?
       Dmap and recorder  - The UK system
       ArcInfo - the use for mapping
..
I'm sure there will be more issues to be raised.  Please can you send
any comments, suggestions direct to me and I'll compile a list to
send to Elaine & Liz.  Please can you indicate if you wish to
participate, and what areas you feel to be beneficial to you.

Regards

Mary Seddon
Curator (Terrestrial Mollusca), Nat.Mus.Wales, Cardiff, UK, CF1 3NP
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel. 44-222-397951x244, Fax 44-222-239009