From:
john pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:27:11 -0500
Fredericksburg, Virginia?--I don't know if we have enough "new or
different" to warrant a visit, but here's a bit:
     --community of 22,000 (surrounded by big suburbs)
     --8 open-every-day museums loosely linked through Fredericksburg
Museums Council and the City of Fredericksburg Department of Economic
Development and Tourism
     --center of National Park Service "set" of 4 battlefields, The House
Where Jackson Died, and 3 major interpretive centers
     --some library links (James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library has
library of its own and is linked to the James Monroe Presidential Center
and The Papers of James Monroe; good informal links with Central
Rappahannock Regional Library);
     --links (mostly informal) to other groups, such as Historic
Fredericksburg Foundation, Rappahannock Regional Heritage Center.

Fredericksburg is 50 miles south of Washington, DC--if you might want to
put us on your tour, let me know and we can see that additional
information is sent.

John
John Pearce
Senior Lecturer, Department of Historic Preservation
Director, James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
Mary Washington College
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5358
USA
540 654-2112
fax 540 654-1106

 On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, David Ellis wrote:

> I am planning a study trip to USA and Canada to look into more effective
> management of heritage held in community and regional museums, to provide
> new ways of caring for cultural heritage collections held in small
> communities (>25,000). I am particularly interested in the impact of the
> clustering of agencies charged with managing cultural resources such as
> museums, libraries, historical societies.
> Can anyone suggest places to visit?

> Important Subscriber Information:

John N. Pearce                              voice/voicemail:  (540) 654-1311
Center for Historic Preservation / James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
Mary Washington College                     fax:  (540) 654-1068
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5358               e-mail:  [log in to unmask]