From:
"K. S. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 09:57:55 -0800
Mark, I must say that I find most touch screens to be harder to use then a
track ball.  My personal experience is that my fingers dont relate well to
pushing a button with no tactile feedback, that cursors/pointers don't
track well with touch screens, and that because of this touch screens don't
interact well with off the shelf software.  One situation that I can't
imagine putting my visitors in is letting them cruise the web using
Netscape with a touch screen, because only the visitors with most dexterous
fingers can reliably activate text based links.

Also, it is my belief that very few people have extensive experience with a
touch screen, whereas almost every person under 35 has played a video game
that has a trackball.  Also, many people have them at home and are used to
them.

Finally, there is no rule that says that you can't have both.  Macintosh
computers easily support multiple input devices all working simultaneously.
You can have a touch screen as well as a trackball both plugged into the
same ADB port, thereby giving your users a choice.

-ken

PS. We use modified a Kensignton TurboMouse in most of our exhibits.  We
use this model because the Kensington software that ships with the mouse
supports assigning macros to different buttons on the mouse.  We use those
buttons to then do things like "Go Home" in netscape.  You can check out a
not very up to date version of my web page that describes how we do this.

Netscape Kiosk Home Page  <http://www.kempf.com/kiosk/>

-------

>Mark C Vang said...(large portion deleted)
>My personal/professional conclusion (which I am opening up to debate) is
>that a touch screen provides the ideal user interface from the visitor's
>point of view.  People use their fingers to direct attention and are
>trained from birth to use them for making selections.  Children's toys,
>elevators, radio's, TV... common items that are used by everyone rely on
>the point and touch method of selection. \
>        Mark C. Vang : Freya Ventures : (757) 340-0099
>                2100 Mediterranean Ave. Suite 15
>                   Virginia Beach, VA 23451
>>   [log in to unmask]    :    [log in to unmask]      <
>* Interactive touch screen exhibit software/systems and exhibit  *
>* technology integration for Museums, Science Centers, Aquariums *

Ken Williams                                       [log in to unmask]
Computer Services Coordinator                       [log in to unmask]
Pacific Science Center                                  Seattle,  WA
                         <http://www.pacsci.org/>
                         <http://www.kempf.com/>