From:
Christian Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:28:05 -0400
Hello--I am gathering information on the logistics of printing a guidebook to
our National Register property at Sweet Briar College.  Sweet Briar House is a
nineteenth-century structure that also functions as the home of the college's
president (http://www.sbc.edu/president/sweetbriarhouse.html).

The grounds have are currently a restoration project of the Garden Club of
Virginia, and we anticipate that after they are completed there may be more
interest in touring the house from the general public.  Currently, many dinners
and gatherings related to college functions are held there, but we do offer
tours for external visitors or groups on request.

Those of you who have spearheaded the writing and printing of such a
publication, have you got any tips as we begin to consider this endeavor?  I am
especially interested in the author contract if it is to be written by an
outside author, the initial print run, recommendations on publishers, and cost
of printing vs. what you charge for the book.  We would most definitely go for
paperback, but do you find that lavishly illustrated variety, with full-color
overviews of each room and details of particularly noteworthy objects are more
appealing to the visitors than dense amounts of text and black and white
illustrations?

I am eager to hear your thoughts on this--thank you in advance for your
assistance.

Christian Carr
Director, Sweet Briar Museum
Assistant Professor, Arts Management