From:
Paul camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:58:11 -0600
Dear Anne- I saw your posting on the listserve this morning and wanted to offer
what I have- I am the Exec. Dir. of the Gillespie County Historical Society here
in Fredericksburg, TX. The group I work for was founded in 1935 and today we
operate 2 museums and 1 historic fort site. As you collect information about
which direction you go think of a few key components:
1. Create some mechanism for endowments that will generate enough earnings to
fund a small staff year round- my model is 2 full timers, 3 part timers avg.
aggregate salaries $ 80,000- 100,000 per year. That means having $ 1 million in
deep money.
2. Gear your museum plan not only for the true interpretive story but the long
term appeal to the outside world- have a strong attachment to the concept of
cultural tourism and the hospitality industry in your area.
3. Dare to dream but stay within your financial limits as you plans the physical
plant of your museum.
if you want to talk in more detail call me at work at 830 997-2835 hope this is
of some help
all the best
Paul Camfield