From:
Maffongelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:32:29 -0500
>>> Allyn Lord <[log in to unmask]> 06/30/03 01:51PM >>>
We hold an annual staff training for emergency preparedness each June,
facilitated by the curator of collections and assistant director.  It's
mandatory for staff, and volunteers and board members are invited.  We use
our emergency manuals (each staff member and board member have copies) and
review the following:

* our museum's emergency policy
* chain-of-command
* phone tree: this and the chain-of-command may change from year-to-year as
staff changes
* maps of each of our buildings re: emergency exits, emergency shelters, and
locations of emergency-related materials
* QUIZ:  each staff member gets a blank template of each of our buildings,
and is asked to fill in the location of such things as fire extinguishers,
gas and water shut-offs, fire pull stations, emergency shelters, etc.  We've
found that from one year to the next, staff members often remember more
about these locations... a good thing!
* selected emergency procedures... we vary these from year-to-year, but
emphasize the most likely kinds of emergencies for our location (e.g.,
accidental damage, fire, medical, security, tornado)
* emergency signals and shelters
* evacuation procedures
* evacuation priorities for collections
* GAME:  we test knowledge about everything we've covered with a game.
Before the workshop we come up with about 3 scenarios of possible
emergencies.  We put everyone's name in a hat.  A die is rolled to determine
how many names to pull.  We then read the scenario with those people
involved, and as a group they're responsible for discussing how they would
respond to the emergency.  Here are some examples (which are very specific
to our site, but offer some suggestions for something you might set up):

SCENARIO #1: It's a Saturday and you're all working at the Museum.  It's one
of those busy days.  The docent is in the House with a tour group.  In the
Museum are: two women with three small children in the Attic (our hands-on
area); an older couple in the exhibit hall; a middle-aged couple with their
frail father in the special exhibits gallery; and a college-age student in
the research library.  The older couple comes into the office and says they
saw smoke near the TV in our back exhibit area.  What do each of you do?

SCENARIO #2:  It's a regular work day. ______ (and _______), you are at the
Museum, where there are a handful of visitors in the exhibits hall and the
docent has three people touring the house.   ________, you are working with
a school group at our education annex (along with ___________ who is
assisting).  It's been raining outside.  The NOAA weather radios in both
buildings come on and announce there's a tornado watch in effect.  What do
you each of you do?

SCENARIO #3:  You're all at the education annex during (a big city-wide
festival in which we participate).  The Annex is full of folks showing
crafts and Friends' members selling baked goods.  Without looking, a visitor
pushes open the front door to leave and knocks the door into an elderly
women, who falls and hits her head on the floor in the entryway.  How do
each of you respond?

* Lastly, if there are new people since last year's training, or if other
folks want to do it as well, we lead a walk-through of our two buildings,
noting emergency locations, etc.

The quiz and game keep the interest up, and since we vary the kind of
emergencies we deal with from year-to-year, we think it keeps it
interesting.  We cover everything (excluding the final walk-through) in
about 2 or 2.5 hours.  However, we have a small staff (10) and a relatively
small facility, so that may make a difference for some of you.

BTW, our emergency preparedness manuals are based on the Southeastern
Registrars Association publication *Steal This Handbook!  A Template for
Creating a Museum's Emergency Preparedness Manual.*

(Ms) Allyn Lord
Assistant Director
Rogers Historical Museum
322 S. Second St.