From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:18:46 -0500
Linda Ellis, I think, has added to the discussion. The major issues appear
to be:

1. Should museum staff authenticate objects?

2. Should they appraise them?

3. Should museums charge for such services, if willing to perform them? and,

4. What kinds of relationships between museums and commercial firms able to
perform both services can be considered appropriate?

I am glad to see the very thoughtful and useful comments people have made on
this issue. More and more, I have the feeling that our concerns were
well-founded and that the approach we used was sufficiently cautious as to
be sound.

Harry

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]