From:
Craig1708 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:58:47 GMT
Art and artifact conservation is often a  little understood concept.
Differing vastly from the more commonly known term  restoration ,
conservation blends technology and science with the arts. Through study and
training in chemistry, art history, studio art and related subjects,
conservators combine their unique skills in the pursuit of preserving our
cultural heritage.

In conjunction with the joint meeting of the Midwest Regional Conservation
Guild
(MRCG) and the Chicago Area Conservation Group (CACG), we are pleased to
announce a special Public Outreach Session, Friday October 3rd, 1997 10:45
am --3:30 pm
in Price Auditorium at the Art Institute of Chicago.
This day long symposium will present seven professional conservators
discussing the efforts made in the preservation of our cultural heritage at
their individual museums.

Through the generosity of the Art Institute of Chicago, The American
Institute for Conservation, and the members of the Chicago Area
Conservation Group, we are pleased to offer this symposium FREE  and
encourage everyone to attend and capture a glimpse of the behind-the-scenes
world of museums and the scientific nature of art and artifact conservation.

Our key-note speaker will be the President of the American Institute for
Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works,(AIC) Mr. Jay Krueger.  Mr.
Krueger will discuss the concept behind art and artifact conservation and
the mission of the AIC.

Public Outreach Session

The schedule is as follows:

10:45--11:00  Welcome and Opening Remarks.  Tim Lennon,(Associate
Paintings Conservator, Art Institute of Chicago)  Morning Session Chair

11:00--11:30  Jay Krueger. President AIC. (Paintings Conservator, National
Gallery, Washington DC)
 Peserving Our Cultural Heritage: Collectors and the Conservation Professional

11:30--12:00  Frank Zuccari, (Director of Conservation, Paintings
Conservator, Art Institute of Chicago
  Conservation at the Art Institute of Chicago

12:00--12:30  Nancy Buenger, (Textile Conservator, Chicago Historical Society)
 Preserving Chicago s History: Collection Care at the Chicago Historical
Society

12:30--1:00    Craig Deller,   (Furniture and Objects Conservator, Private
Practice)
 Wooden Artifact Conservation: From Tables to Telescopes

1:00--2:00   LUNCH,

2:00--2:05   Craig Deller.  (President, Chicago Area Conservation Group)
Afternoon Session Chair

2:05--2:30      Laura D Alessandro,  Head, Conservation Laboratory,
Oriental Institute.
 Forceps to Forklifts: Conservation at the Oriental Institute Museum

2:30--3:00  Carol Whitehouse,  Book and Paper Conservator, Newberry Library
 Conserving the Humanities at the Newberry Library

3:00--3:30   Andrzej Dajnowski, Sculpture Conservator for the Chicago Park
District
 Conservation of Outdoor Sculpture of the Chicago Park District

All attendees will receive a packet of information regarding Conservation
including
membership in the AIC and CACG.  Seating will be limited.

For further information, please contact Craig Deller, CACG President at
630.232.1708

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group Ltd
Geneva, Illinois
USA
[log in to unmask]                "Conservators make it last longer"
http://home.aol.com/DELLERCON
*