From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:03:24 -0800
Forwarding a message I received today to both
Indecision2000 and the Museums List.  My mind is
blanking, and I can't remember if this is a contact
from the museums list or the disability community.
Nonetheless, it sounds like a great concept and should
be emulated in other fora.

Access Day at the California Palace of the Legion of
Honor

Please include in your newsletter and postings. E-mail
version on request.

The Access Committee of the Fine Arts Museums of San
Francisco is hosting the annual Access Day, a day to
welcome the Disability Community to the museum and
promote the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco's
policy of inclusion every day.

The Access Day will be held

Saturday, April 20, 2002, 10;30 am to 3 pm.

California Palace of the Legion of Honor
 100 34th Street, San Francisco, California, 94121

Admission is free with RSVP by April 12, regular
admission donation of $8.00 (6.00 seniors) without
RSVP. There will be additional blue parking spaces and
beefed up disability accommodations in addition to
programs on disability culture, docent tours, art
making, some great performances and composing artist,
disability, and museum enthusiast manifestos for the
new millennium.

This year's Access Day is centered on "Dreaming with
Open Eyes: Dada and Surrealist Art," an exhibition of
paintings, sculpture, photographs, and film.  Featured
among the 200 pieces are works by Marcel Duchamp,
Joseph Cornell, Joan Miro, Salvador Dali, Man Ray, and
Max Ernst.

This is exciting stuff from an age, basically the
period between World Wars I and II, when artists were
heroes and manifestos were statements of courage. Dada
and Surrealism are important because it was when art
was reforming itself.

Access Day this year provides an intellectual
challenge and an attempt to grasp a deeper meaning,
but you do not have to be a rocket scientist or a
Ph.D. in art
> history to find something in the exhibit. Many in
the disability community already understand surrealism
from their interaction with the service industry and
the artworks here may prove empathetic to real life
meeting bureaucratic rigidity.

Please RSVP to Tish Brown, Access Coordinator
415 750 7645(voice) 415-750-3509(TTY) or

http://www.thinker.org

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: