From:
Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:19:18 -0500
Laura
We seem to have some similarities -
We are on the edge of campus - we do have a couple of parking lots near
us, but we are not right in the center.  We have about 25,000 visitors
annuallym we recently raised the number of students from 10% to 20% of
that number.  A great part of that is through class visits, but we do
have a student friends organization.

We had a cafe, which closed because we did not get enough business -
almost no students.  We do offer study break in our cafe area during
finals week (dcoffee, tea and cookies) which brings in a smattering of
students.

We had a marketing and campaigns class take us on  - presenting plans -
most which hinged on working with dorm and the Greek system.  We started
a list serve for both, but it hasn't done much for us. I also had a
student turn in a current issues paper on the topic for class last
week.  Her findings were location makes a big difference  - but I'm not
really sure that we would do all that much better in a central
location.  When I am in the Union Gallery or the other two galleries on
campus, which are centrally located, there is no one there.

I think this is more an issue of time and interest - we compete with a
lot of other things for student time, some necessary to their lives and
some a lot more fun.  We will continue to get art majors in, people for
class and the enlightened few!  Otherwise, it takes special events with
food and activities./
Kathrine Schlageck
Beach Museum of Art
Kansas State University