From:
Lucretia Baskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 02:58:39 -0400
[original id of poster deleted in prior message]
>> > I am looking into graduate schools...have a bachelor's degree in arts
>> > management but find that most museum positions require experience and
>> > graduate work.  If you are able to advise on a grad school with potential
>> > in same are for employment, it would be most appreciated!  (thinking
NY or
>> > DC?)
>> >
>> > Also, does anyone have any luck in obtaining a job via the internet?
Good
>> > sites?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Jessica

Two things: First, you didn't really specify what kind of degree you're
looking for or what kind of work you want to do. Are you looking for Museum
Studies? Administration? Development? Education? Or straight Art History,
which is a good way to head into various jobs at art museums (curatorial,
registrarial, etc.)?

Second, a lot of the art history programs at various universities don't
have terminal MA programs (i.e. the only way you'll get one out of them is
to drop out of their PhD program after you pass a certain amount of stuff -
3 years or so of work). The thinking of schools and employers seems to be
heading into the realm of degree inflation, and places just aren't bothered
with offering MAs anymore. I think (don't quote me on this one, I did my
applying to grad schools about 5 years ago) Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and
UCBerkeley only have PhD programs. NYU (the Institute of Fine Arts) has an
MA, but no funding with it - they basically use it to fund their doctoral
students. I don't know about the NYU Museum Studies MA in terms of funding.
CUNY is probably worth checking out, too, if you're looking for art
history. It's not in NY or DC, but Williams College has one of the few good
art history MAs, and a good chunk of the NY art world seems to make its way
up there through the year. (Feel free to email me off list if you have
questions about Williams.)

Something that might be helpful is the CAA directory of MA, MFA, and PhD
programs. I think you can probably order it from their website.
(www.collegeart.org)

Good luck!

--Lucretia