From:
Dennis Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 08:20:26 -0800
Eric Seigel makes some interesting points with his suggestion that the
NEA be abolished in favor direct grants to state commissions.

Unfortunately, as a political strategy, it suffers from 2 fatally flawed
premises.  The first error is in thinking that the difficulty is with the
NEA (or CPB, IMS, etc.).  Those who are screaming for its abolition do so
because the are opposed to any tax money going to the arts.  This can be
countered only by a concerted effort at educating our opponents in the
value of the arts in the daily lives of all Americans.  The voices in
opposition are highly organized and extremely vocal, and we can combat
them only by becoming just as organized and just as vocal.

The second error is in ascribing the opposition to the Republicans.  This
is not a Republican/Democrat issue.  For instance, Oregon's Republican
Senators, notably Bob Packwood, have been strong supporters of public
funding of the arts.  I suggest that we need to identify our friends in
whichever camp, express our appreciation for their support, and enlist
their aid once again.

While discussion of this issue on the list will be enlightening, the
people we should be writing to are in Washington, DC.

Dennis Dolan                    "Vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias."