From:
Marjorie Wilser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:25:36 +0000
Kathryn,

The San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles (new name: formerly Am. Museum of
Q & T) uses cotton sleeves basted to the entire length of the top back.
These accept a rod so that the entire piece is supported evenly.

For storage, about half the collection is in "traditional" acid-free boxes
padded with acid-free tissue: the other half are hung on A-frames which take
long rods.  The quilts are rolled on the support rods, tied at intervals with
cotton strips, then covered as they are rolled by cotton sheeting, which is
also tied at intervals.

The rods are ingenuity themselves: the basic support is provided by long
wooden closet poles; over these are 112" cardboard tubes donated by carpet
sellers; these are in turn covered with mylar film (inert layer!), which in
*its* turn is covered by a cotton sleeve with drawstrings in each end to hold
the whole together.  This construct is what the quilts are rolled onto (after
vacuuming through screen) for storage.  Each wooden A-frame has 16 rollers,
each of which can hold 2-3 quilts, depending on size.

Where is Beach?

Best wishes from California

==Marjorie Wilser (Printers' Guild, San Jose Historical Museum)
        [& volunteer at San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles]

   @..@   Three  Toad  Press
   or:[log in to unmask]