From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:24:23 -0400
This is beyond copyright of the photos. When I've researched in
museums, in most cases I sign an agreement that the photos are for
personal use and I would have to get further permission if I wanted
to publish them in any way. The museum owns the objects, and we agree
that they have control over photos of the objects even though I was
the one taking the photos.

When you say the photos are part of the volunteering, I assume you
mean you thought she was taking the photos for the museum, and not
for her own use.

The difficulty here is that you did not address it the first time she
published an article.

As was mentioned, definitely come up with a photo policy. I know of
one museum that will not allow publication unless the photo was taken
by a professional photographer. It would certainly minimize the
problem of bad photography.

You could show her the new policy and explain that you are bringing
your practices more "in line" with standard museum practices. There
are many things you can add to your new policy. You could say the
museum must review all photos for quality and credit must be given to
the museum. An example of a museum and photographer credit would be
useful. I don't know if you can request final review of the article.
You might also want to contact the other museum about the photo
policies. Publication editors should read through articles before
they publish them.

As far as starting the conversation, have a copy of your photo policy
in writing. Be very patient and make sure you get through everything.
If she interrupts with defensiveness or apologies, pause and say you
need to go through the document with her. Take time to answer her
questions, but don't get emotionally involved yourself. As far as
having witnesses, you can present the new policy info to other
employees and volunteers at the same time, so she is not singled out.

-Carol