From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 10:30:38 -5
I don't claim to be an expert on "collection management software" (by which I
assume you mean specimens database managers), but I would like to share my own
experience, since it goes quite contrary to your recommendation.  In my 7 years
at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, we have gone through 3 data
management systems.  The first, which was in place when I arrived, was
appallingly clumsy, a flat file with primitive data retrieval ability and
minimal navigation through the file.  My understanding was that the departments
were handed the system as a fait accompli (you WILL use this!) and essentially
no input beyond providing a list of fields to be included.  We switched
mainframes 2 years after I arrived, and switched software.  We were given more
control over the customization, except for the features that our programmer
couldn't figure out and the features that our programmer decided we shouldn't
want anyway (trivia like being able to make global changes when a scientific
name was changed).  Whenever the programmer TRIED to effect a change, we were
offline for a week or two, and the system was inevitably returned to us with
bugs either in the new feature (like deleting records on us) or something
screwed up that used to work just fine, so we'd be offline for another week
while those were cleaned up (not infrequently to be replaced by new bugs and
another period offline, etc.).  After a couple of years of browbeating the
programming dept. to give us a workable system, we were kicked off the
mainframe and sent to PC's with Paradox.  My dept. was offline for months, and
only partially functional for a full year as the hired programmer dithered with
customizing the software.  Finally, the consultant quit, so I sat down and
learned Paradox and finished the customization and I STRONGLY ENDORSE the idea
of self-customization.  I admit I have a particularly progressive/liberal boss
who recognizes the value of having a knowledgeable staff member and allows his
staff to take the time to learn something not of IMMEDIATE value.  As a result,
I can produce just about any kind of report he (or I) can think would be
useful, I can modify the system any time it occurs to us that a particular
feature would probably be useful, I can expand features, etc.  We are not at
the mercy of a data department whose priorities may or may not include spending
time on our needs.  We do not have to argue about why such a utility really IS
important to people who know computers but don't understand museum activities.
We are never told autocratically what we can or can't do with our data (like
whether we will be allowed to run that report on their precious printer).

Sure, there's a down side.  We are responsible for backing up the database, I
sometimes have to take the time to learn something new in order to implement
some new feature, and I still haven't gotten around to setting up an inventory
auto-update utility.  However, having control of our data FAR OUTWEIGHS those
minuses.  I strongly recommend that anyone setting up a database give serious
consideration to off-the-shelf database software that they customize
themselves.  This is especially true for smaller (30,000 records) files and for
those who want relatively simple systems.

Robin K. Panza, Collection Manager
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.