From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 17:38:55 -0600
Hi Becky,

You wrote:
>Bottom line - if we only believed those things that could be
>proven, our lives would certainly be dreary little affairs,
>wouldn't they?

    Without getting into a philosophical/theological debate, this is an
oft-made criticism/observation of secular humanists, positivists,
rationalists, empiricists, etc.  But those who adhere to these (and similar)
philosophies seem satisfied with the fullness that life in the 'here and
now' provide . . .

* enjoy the sensations of a blossoming flower without requiring a
supernatural explanation for its existence and complexity

* begin and end each day with a personally established imperative to make a
positive difference in the world without fear of retribution by a divine
entity hurling lighting bolts

* live with an understanding that people control some measure of destiny
without an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent power playing "Risk" by
involving him/her/itself in human geopolitics

* etc.

    Whilst "intelligent design" is part of American and world culture, let's
not judge too harshly those who wish to exclude theologically-based beliefs
from our political system (including the Smithsonian) so as to avoid
imposing beliefs on others who may believe differently.  We still have, as
citizens, a responsibility to permit (at least the illusion of) freedom of
association and practice, including the freedom to reject practice.
    At the same time, "intelligent design" falls equally in the agnostic and
(potentially) the atheistic camps.  After all, an atheist may take the laws
of thermodynamics -- combined with other physics, chemistry, and biology
laws and theories -- that resulted in this universe, earth, and human
organisms to be "intelligent design" by the laws of chance.  (I question how
intelligent is the design.  LOL!)

    It's a complex issue.  At minimum, there ought to be an opening for
public discussion of the various sides of this issue.  But to "rent" the
Smithsonian out for a private showing "co-sponsored" by the National Museum
of Natural History . . . that ought to be viewed as suspicious, if not
outrageous.  We are a plural society, despite the pseudo-pantheistic
Christian foundation(s) upon which the country was built.

Headed home for the evening with all sorts of unsettled feelings . . .

Best wishes,
Jay

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education