From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:44:47 -0400
Clothing moths are not typically attracted to light, preferring the dark
recesses and hiding places. On the other hand, carpet beetles are
attracted to light, often being found on window ledges.

If there is a reason or need to monitor specifically for both, I'd
suggest looking instead at pheromone traps/lures. Of course, realize
that placement is critical since your goal is to induce pests currently
in the collections to your monitoring station, not to entice additional
pests into the facility from outside (which can be easily done if you
aren't careful). Of course, this technique will seek out only the
adults, not the larvae that are currently eating away.

If there is interest in additional information contact me off-list and
I'll be happy to discuss it at length.

Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director