From:
Wayne Gannaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:15:00 GMT
The National Park Service has a web site for its staff that is available to
the public that helps their staff quantify the economic impact of parks on
local and regional economies.  While I haven't examined the page closely, it
looks like it could be quite useful for getting a sense of economic impacts
and maybe a "ball park" idea about impact potential.  Perhaps the NPS model
is flexible enough for you to do an expedient study?

Here's the web page address:

http://www.nps.gov/planning/tools.html

From the NPS page:
"In 1990, Dr. Ken Hornback of the Denver Statistical Office of the National
Park Service developed an economic model that could be used to estimate
economic benefits of parks for local economies. This model was called the
Money Generation Model, or MGM. The original Money Generation Model focused
primarily on the economic benefits associated with park tourism
expenditures.

In 2000, Daniel Stynes and Dennis Propst at Michigan State University have
developed the new version, called MGM2. Like the original MGM model, MGM2
estimates the impacts that park visitors have on the local economy in terms
of their contribution to sales, income and jobs in the area.  The Money
Generation Model  produces quantifiable measures of park economic benefits
that can be used for planning, concessions management, budget
justifications, policy analysis and marketing."