From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:08:40 -0400
MS303a: Found in the Collection: Orphans, Old Loans and Abandoned Property
              Aug 3 - Sep 11, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms303a.html

Every museum has a few stray items. Some lost tags long ago. Others turn up as surprises during inventories. A few are all that remain from long-ago exhibits. While you'll want to keep some, others may be deteriorating. Even worse, some pose significant hazards for staff and the rest of the collection. All raise legal and professional questions. How do you deal with objects that have no records? Or loans from unidentified or deceased lenders? Found in the Collection addresses how to identify abandoned objects and old loans. It further covers the application of state laws and rules for identifying owners or establishing ownership.
Course Outline:
1. Introduction
2. Definitions and legislation
3. Identification and process - Abandoned property and “Found in the Collection”
4. Identification and process - Old Loans
5. Systems to regulate future problems
6. Conclusion

Required Textbook
The New Museum Registration Methods, 4th edition. Edited by Rebecca A. Buck & Jean Allman Gilmore. 427 pages (American Association of Museums; 1998) ISBN: 0-931201-31-4. Available through American Association of Museums. $55.00 (non-member cost) $40.00 (member cost)

Logistics:
Participants in Found in the Collection work through sections on their own. Instructor Lin Nelson-Mayson is available for scheduled email support. Materials and resources include online literature, slide lectures and dialog between students and online chats led by the instructor. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Found in the Collection runs four weeks. To reserve a spot in the course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments for MS303: Found in the Collection:
It covered situations which I am encountering in my work. It showed me where to look to answer questions about the legal aspects of FIC objects. It made me aware of the weakness of current Abandoned Property laws in my state (and apparently most others)… I found the lectures and readings very helpful.

I liked being able to work on the materials at my own pace. The feedback from the instructor was very helpful. My favorite part of the course were the online chats. These were very engaging and it was great way to discuss issues and find solutions to the challenges our collections pose.

I thought the course was very helpful and the technology worked wonderfully for me. The lectures were very helpful in giving an overview and did a good job of summarizing the major points. I thought the readings were especially helpful in gaining different perspectives about the issues. It was interesting to see other institutions' policies and procedures.

Thank you for facilitating this course. Lin, our instructor, was very helpful and insightful. She asked very good questions, which helped me really think carefully through all of the steps of handling old loans, FICs and abandoned property. While I will be making some revisions to our policies and procedures, the course did confirm that many of the policies and procedures we have in place are very good. I certainly feel empowered to deal with these objects now! I think that the chats were extremely helpful for hashing out the issues and gave me much-needed reassurance that I was not the only one dealing with them.

I liked: a) how much content was covered; b) how the information presented could be applied to a variety of museums across the board (i.e. state museums, not-for-profit, and yes, private-owned); c) the ease that we could still interact as a class even though we were all over the country.
It brought forth a lot of things that we haven't been doing as a museum…

The Instructor:
Lin Nelson-Mayson, with over 25 years of museum experience at small and large institutions, is director of the University of Minnesota's Goldstein Museum of Design. Prior to that, she was the director of ExhibitsUSA, a nonprofit exhibition touring organization that annually tours over 30 art and humanities exhibitions across the country. For five years, she was a coordinator or judge for the American Association of Museums' Excellence in Exhibitions Competition. She currently serves on the exhibition committee for the National Sculpture Society. Ms. Nelson-Mayson has extensive experience with the planning, preparation, research and installation of exhibitions. Ms Nelson-Mayson's experience includes teaching museum studies and museology courses. Her particular interest is the needs of small museums.

Her credentials include the following;

An MFA from The Ohio State University in sculpture and critical writing
A BFA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in painting.
Work as a curator for the Ross County Historic Society (Chillicothe, Ohio), the Art Museum of South Texas (Corpus Christi), the Columbia Museum of Art (South Carolina), and the Minnesota Museum of American Art.

For more detailed descriptions of each course, go to http://www.museumclasses.org Each full course costs $425. To reserve a spot in any course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html

If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

August Online Classes
MS208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects: Materials and Methods of Object Numbering
              Aug 3 - Aug 28, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms208a.html

MS226: Care of Furniture and Wood Artifacts
              Aug 3 - Aug 28, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Craig Deller
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms226a.html

MS213a: Museum Artifacts: How they were made and how they deteriorate
              Aug 3 - Sep 11, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms213a.html

MS303a: Found in the Collection: Orphans, Old Loans and Abandoned Property
              Aug 3 - Sep 11, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms303a.html

MS001: The Problem with Plastics (short course)
              Aug 10 - 14, 2009
              Price: $75
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms001a.html