From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:47:29 -0600
Grace and other colleagues:

As to which came first, the educator or the museum professional -- I am an
advocate for the educator turned museum professional for some of the
following reasons:

An educator knows the process of instructional design which is critical to
the development of any educational program, regardless of how informal or
formal it is (e.g., needs assessment, identifying goals and objectives,
selecting the appropriate teaching method[s] and determine how to evaluate
program or lesson outcomes). An educator has also proven his or her ability
to impart information before a group of individuals, to think on his or her
feet and demonstrate classroom management skills.  An educator tends to use
resources well and draw from a depth and breadth of resources in preparing
for a program.

A museum professional certainly knows his or her business...which makes them
invaluable as guest lecturers and collaborators for programs.  There are
certainly museum professionals who are natural educators and of course
others who need to learn the process (just as there are some educators who
missed the boat somewhere along the line!!).

In my consulting experiences, it has seemed to me that organizations looking
to hire someone are looking for someone with basis core values (e.g.,
integrity, team player while working well independently, civility, common
sense, respect, responsible) and someone who is familiar with what they will
be hired to do -- although many organizations have stated that they are
willing to train the right person to do the job.  As nice as that might be,
it takes staff time and money -- things many of us do not have!

Kind regards,
Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
TNI Consultants in Professional Development
Oak Park, IL
www.tniconsultants.com
708. 386. 1331