From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:02:23 -0600

Remko,

Multiple backups, multiple storage locations, and even different storage

media are all musts. The NIST publication you need is here:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf

Either the hard jewel cases or the archival polypropylene versions are

good. The main reason I lean toward the poly-versions is that they are not

as prone to cracking or shattering. Of course, if they are stored and

handled well that would not be an issue. In any case, avoid the thin cases

for long term storage, as they are too thin and flexible.

One of the things I have not seen on any of the other posts responding to

your question, and forgive me if I missed it, is a discussion of data

permanence. Migration to newer media and technology/software obsolecence

are serious concerns, but there is another issue that lurks in the dark

places of our vaults. DVDs and CDs are not permanent storage media, and

they should never be considered as such.

Of course use and poor conditions can damage a CD/DVD-RAM or ROM, but the

data on the disks can become unreadable all by itself even in good

conditions. The dye-based technology that we all use is subject to

degradation over time, and your archived master copies could become

unuseable in as few as 1-5 years, whether or not you still have a computer

that can run/read them. If you are going to archive data in any digital

format, you need to have a policy in place for periodic checking and

recopying of the data to fresh media to prevent such losses.

As David noted, only a few media, such as microfilm, microfiche, and

paper(punchcards), can be considered permanent in the long run. All other

digital and electronic media should be considered temporary and treated as

such. That is assuming you actually want to keep your information for the

long term. DVD-ROMs are a much more stable option, but the difficulty and

expense of producing such creatures in low number/unique batches would be

prohibitive for most of us. Perhaps it has gotten cheaper when I was not

looking.

George's suggestion of using professional data storage services is a good

one, and likely the direction the archival industry will go(in my personal

opinion). Such an option is easy, secure, relatively cheap, and they

generally guarantee the longevity of the data. As it becomes more

mainstream a few leaders in the field will emerge offering data storage

permanence. I too am not quite sure of their permanence just yet, so my

critical data still stays with me.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             "Jansonius, Remko

             (Vizcaya)"

             <remko.jansonius@                                          To

             VIZCAYAMUSEUM.ORG         [log in to unmask]

             >                                                          cc

             Sent by: Museum

             discussion list                                       Subject

             <[log in to unmask]         archival storage of CDs

             SE.LSOFT.COM>

             12/30/2005 09:12

             AM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

After a year on the job I have collected loads of digital images – scanned,

shot, donated. It’s time to put the master files in storage.

Is there a general consensus on what materials to use? What type of CDs? Is

there a specific pro or con to use CD envelops (compacter) or jewel boxes

(more rigid)? Does anyone have good experiences with specific CD

drawers/boxes/cabinets? Is there anything I am overlooking here?

Any and all comments are appreciated!

… and a good new year to all!

Remko Jansonius

Collections and Archives Manager

Vizcaya Museum & Gardens

3251 South Miami Avenue

Miami, FL 33129

t: 305-860-8433

f: 305-250-9117

www.vizcayamuseum.org

miamidade.gov

"Delivering Excellence Every Day"

Miami-Dade County is a public entity, subject to Chapter 119 of the Florida

Statutes concerning public records. E-mail messages and their attachments

are covered under such laws and thus subject to disclosure. All e-mail sent

to and received at this address is captured by Miami-Dade County servers

and kept as a public record.

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).