From:
cathyosterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:07:21 -0700
Hi all!

Going a step further on what's already been said about
accessioning books, I'm curious whether any of you have
reference libraries, and if so, are the books accessioned?
Our policy is to accession rare and historic books into our
permanent collection and not allow the public to handle
them. We do have a reference library that the staff and
public can use and the feeling has been that we shouldn't
accession reference books (care of collection books, books
on wagons or cowboys or historic quilts, etc.)

What is standard for reference libraries regarding books
that the staff uses and that the public can use with
supervision? If a book is donated to the museum but it's
determined not to be historic and worthy of the permanent
collection, but it is placed in a reference library setting,
should it be marked to signifiy the donor? I've seen no
standard in my museum and I'm curious what others have done
in their museums. Is anyone else facing the same sort of use
and status issues?

Cathy Osterman
Curator of Collections
CFD Old West Museum