From:
Angela Steinmetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 09:51:09 -0600
Hi Marielle-
Although we have not rented a refrigerated truck, we have shipped large batches of items off to a freezing facility before bringing them into the museum.  Perhaps you could find a place locally that would do this for you?

Angela Steinmetz
Collections Coordinator
Denver Art Museum
100 West 14th Avenue Parkway
Denver, CO 80204-2788
Phone: (720) 865-5023
Fax: (720) 865-5081

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/12/05 07:05AM >>>
Good morning!

I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on freezing treatments for
dermestids. The objects themselves are not the issue today, but what length
of time to freeze.  When I was an intern at a museum we froze infested items
after a good vacuuming, wrapped in acid free tissue, bagged and sealed, we
would freeze the items for a two week period. Remove and gradually thaw to
room temp then clean again, bag and seal for one more two week period. I've
caught wind of the new idea that 48 hours in -20 F would be all that was
needed. For me the jury is still out on such a short treatment.  Also are
there better options than freezing? We have also thought of oxygen
deprivation chambers. I welcome everyone's opinion.

To give some history my infestation is of dermestids (pesky brats that I've
been lucky enough to find live and dead!) They are everywhere but we are
mostly concerned with our vast uniform collection. What also would be the
most convenient way in time and money to treat over 200 items.
We will be moving to a new building in about a year and I don't want the
infestation to follow. But I also don't want the next 5 years of my job to
be spent freezing, thawing and cleaning this enormous collection. We have
thought of renting a refrigerated truck, has anyone tried this method?

Thank you all for advice in advance. I really enjoy the discussions on this
board.
From the Dermestid Queen of the east coast!!!!

Marielle

Marielle Fortier