From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:19:55 -0800
Henry B. Crawford writes:
>It is important to remember the small
>museums which are not yet on line, and those which probably will not be
>connected in the near future, not to mention the students who receive AVISO
>as part of their student membership rate.  AVISO in print still reaches an
>otherwise excluded constituency.
>
>I don't want to see AAM become a web-users-only organization.

Henry -

Why not do both?  It doesn't seem that it need be an "either-or" situation,
unless AAM feels it would be unfair to publish job opportunities promptly
on the web when the same listings wouldn't reach their print readers for
weeks.  On the other hand, the slowness of their print turn-around makes me
suspect that many of the listed jobs have already found a leading candidate
before AVISO ever reaches our desks.  Also, it's hard to imagine that there
could be too many small museums which do not have at least one computer,
one telephone line, and $20/month to get themeselves online.  As for
students, they are more web-savvy than any of us. If jobs are listed
online, they'll be there.

Just my 2c.  BTW, has anyone heard from AAM about this thread?

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President, Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA 91103 USA (818)396-2397  fax (818)405-9104 [log in to unmask]
Williamson Gallery website:
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/williamson.html