Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:42:04 -0500
As with 'scientific creationism' before it, 'intelligent design' is
part of a larger effort to suppress science and critical inquiry and
replace it with blind obedience to (theocratic) authority.

It is not some new hypotheses to be tested by experimental science, it
is theology (and a specific monotheism, no less).

However, as with creationism, the proponents (who some call 'Christian
fascists' because they cite that scripture as their fundamental
justification) are eager to shroud their efforts as 'just another
theory' to be debated in the marketplace of ideas. In which case,
finding someone with a PhD and a journal to publish in is a significant
event. It plays well on the 700 Club.

Is there something wrong with that? Yes, there is.

This is not simply an intellectual debate (although that debate, even
on museum-l, is important). The ideology and politics being promoted
are being realized by incitements to violence, by wholesale round-ups
and detentions, by military invasions and the threats of further
invasions.

This stuff is lethal (to critical thinkers, to gays, to women who don't
'know their place', to people of color, to immigrants, to Muslims, to
people living in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria...) and will become
more so if "good people do nothing" (to paraphrase Burke).

-L.D.