From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:39:53 -0500
A really good place to start is the bookstore of the American Association
of museums. The first book you purchase might be:

Museum Registration Methods, The New
4th edition
edited by Rebecca A. Buck & Jean Allman Gilmore
American Association of Museums

Best Seller!
 The "bible of museum registrars," updated for the 21st century, with more
than 50 all-new chapters covering the complete registration procedure,
proper care and storage of objects, collections management, documentation,
computerization of records, shipping and handling, insurance, security,
ethics and legal issues, and much more. An indispensable reference book
for museum professionals working in any kind and size of institution.
Prepared by the Registrars Committee, a Standing Professional Committee of
AAM.
paper | 427 pages | 1998
ISBN: 0-931201-31-4
$55.00 (non member cost)
$40.00 (member cost)

Puruse the collections section of the bookstore and you'll find books
specific to many types of collections

The bookstore can be found on line at: http://www.aam-us.org/bookstore

Good luck
Diane G.