From:
Chuck Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:39:55 -0600
I would also be interested in reading about any actual application of scientific method by creationists to their own theories. I've read my share of books offered by Bible literalists to refute evolution, but I've never seen anything offering scientific evidence for creationism. In the interest of objectivity, I'd like to weigh the evidence--just tell me where to find it.

Instead of trying to react to the attacks, defend the findings and methods of science, or let our detractors dictate the terms of the debate, maybe we should really be pushing for the teaching of critical thinking skills in schools and museums. That should be a safe enough topic, and schools would be able to teach it without going NEAR the subject of science. How could anyone object to having their kids taught to see through glib advertising claims, to understand statistics in the media, to use their heads, to learn how to sift information and to look for the truth? No parent wants their child to grow up gullible and naive. Have we decided that schoolchildren should only be exposed to logic, observation, objectivity, or clarity of thought in science or math classes? Suppose they got a little bit of critical thinking in every class! What if English teachers taught Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" as literature, and Social Studies teachers used "Why People Believe Weird Things" by Shermer? What if "Innumeracy" by Paulos was used in civics, media, or sociology classes (instead of the occasional math class), and psychology or philosophy students were taught from texts like "How To Think About Weird Things" by Schick and Vaughn? (Maybe these particular books are not the best for the purpose, they're just the first that came to mind.) If people learn good critical thinking skills early, it makes ALL learning easier and more fun! (Apologies to all those teachers, formal and informal, who are already doing this very thing.)

Chuck Stout
Exhibits Design and Development
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Boulevard