From:
Hodcarry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 20:18:50 GMT
Just a thought, while I would not feel qualified to give advice on object
care,  in the past, somewhat stale bread, french, not whole wheat, was a
material commonly used by people, who took care of art, to lightly clean a
variety of objects.  If a good rule for a conservator, as for a doctor, is
first do no harm, it seems a pretty risk free way to "dust", strictly a
physical process as opposed to a chemical one.  There are large numbers of
sound paintings that illustrate practices of the past were not all harmful.
 I wonder what shape 20th century paintings will be in 500 years from now,
not that it will be of any personal interest.  I suspect in the dark
corners of  European  labs there is still a loaf or two lurking about. When
all is said and done conservation is still more of an art than a science.