From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 14:19:34 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/2002 10:25:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The high-waisted styles definitely did require corsetry--nature doesn't put
>  bosoms as high as these fashions required them to be. Alden O'Brien at the
>  DAR Museum has been doing a lot of research into corsetry from this period.
>  Advertisements from contemporary newspapers also mention corsetry.

There was an exhibit at the Met Costume Institute- maybe even in the recent
one?- that featured these corsets. Equally as uncomfortable cause things were
still being pushed around. That style was alot like the flappers and today-
not as easy and relaxed as they look. Girdles, corsets and "bodyslimmers" are
making a huge comeback today Whenever we get dressed up, my female friends
and I always seem to spend some time comparing what wonder of engineering is
under our dresses to make us look better.

Also, at certain periods in time, men wore corsets too.

Did anyone watch Frontier House on PBS? I was amazed that the modern women
actually wore their corsets everyday. I would have thought they would have
stopped wearing them daily, which is what I had always thought frontier women
would have done. Why wear them daily when you're out in the wilderness and
you don't see anyone outside of your family for days, if not weeks?

Pamela