From:
"A.Ferszt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:29:32 -0700
Tyne & Wear Archives wrote:

> Here's a question going out to anyone who may be able to help.
>
> We here at Tyne and Wear Archives have recently taken possesion of a
> MicrotekScanMaker636 package.  The scanner and all does all that we are
> asking of it, however, we in conservation have reservations regarding the
> scanning of original documents.
>
> Many requests are made for copies of documents, photographs etc, but to
> satisfy these with scanned images present problems.  does anyone out there
> know of any studies/technical data that gives information regarding light
> damage, artificial ageing etc?
>
> I would be very grateful for any further sources of information so that we
> may produce guidelines for the use of scanners etc.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tristian Jones
> Conservator
> Conservation Dept
> Tyne and Wear Archives Service
> Blandford House
> Blandford Square
> Newcastle upon Tyne
> NE1 4JA
>
> Tel (0191) 232 6789 ext 444
> fax 0191 230 2614

Can't give you any specific information, but common sense would
recommend that documents not be scanned repeatedly. Once a clear digital
copy has been obtained, that should be archived for multiple use. The
scanner we have in our office certainly doesn't have adjustable light
levels. All contrast etc adjustments are made with the software.

There may be filters etc that would cut down on the damage done by
light, but the question is how would the scan be affected.