From:
mattison sarah a <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 03:56:14 LCL
List Members:

I am doing research involving NAGPRA and would like to get some ideas
from the group.

Recently I visited a museum with a large Native American
collection with a friend of mine who is Native American.  He and I
were discussing repatriation, I told him that I felt torn, because
without the objects a museum loses the "tools" necessary to educate.
I suggested to him that perhaps with
the permission of the tribes, museums could reproduce the sacred
objects while returning the original pieces to their rightful owners.
He said, "Sarah, it doesen't matter if you make the item, or I do;  it
still has power."

My question to you is this:  Do you believe objects themselves
hold power, or are they only powerful to the believer?  If sacred
objects are loaned to museums is there a "respectful" way to present
them to the public to convey their importance, or is it more
appropriate to give every object equal value?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this....

Sarah M.