From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:38:24 +0100
Dear John,

thank you for your kind words and your interest.

I am not an expert on learning theories. There are other names in learning
theory besides the ones you mentioned (Dewey, Barlett, Lewin, Skinner, Bloom
and Ausube + Gagne, Glaser, Piaget and Kolb) like Ebbinghaus, Ernst von
Glasersfeld and Baddeley, but of course, in Europe we might have other
names. But there is also Daniel Golemann (emotional intelligence) etc.
Robert Borofski worked on the Cook Islands to discover the learning habits
of the indigenous people there. He stated that the people learn best in real
situations of life: they learn about the production of a canoe (dress,
radio, car, shopping) while working on it; they will learn about the names
of the fish best while fishing etc. That is the problem of our "modern day"
schools: They do not create "real life situations". That is why they have to
use all kinds of tricks to get their message across. That is the reason why
they teach only those things which can be asked for in exams. Things which
cannot be tested in exams seem irrelevant to schools. But pupils will
encounter only "real life situations" later on.
That is where museums might come in: they simulate real life situations with
their original "real" objects, in science museums with the hands-on exhibits
etc. There are numerous articles on the fact that visitors learn in museums
because they are involved in something. Many people remember "vividly" (!)
many facts they say - and learned - in museums, when they were young. Maybe,
that even the theatres in museums will bring more simulated "real life
situations" into museums.

But - and therefore -, I do think that the main objective of (science)
museums is not learning of facts. If you really want to learn about biology,
electricity, mathematics, art, you have to sit down and learn via books,
lectures, studying, with colleges, but also in practice when working as a
student in appropriate companies etc.
But: Why do people start to learn those things? Because they got enthusiased
somewhere by someone. This enthusiasm to look closer, to see the fun of it,
to be overwhelmed by it, this enthusiasm can be transported in museums.

Therefore, I would say: museums are not primarily "learning machines", they
are machines to raise curiosity and enthusiasm - as a start for future (and
enhanced) learning.

Following this thought, museums should never overload themselves with data
(to be learned). They should crate an atmosphere of "real life situations",
of fantasy, for igniting CURIOSITY & ENTHUSIASM.

.... Hope it answered your question. Hope it was not too much aside the
point. And not too long. Would like to hear more about you.

Peter, the ever learning Rebernik

 | PHAROS International - Bureau for Cultural Projects
 | Peter Rebernik, Dipl.-Ing.
 | Anton Baumgartner-Str. 44/C2/3/2
 | A - 1230 Wien / AUSTRIA
 | Tel.:  (+43 1) 667 7375
 | Fax:  (+43 1) 667 2984
 | Mobiltel.: (+43 664) 230 2767
 | Email: [log in to unmask] / Web: www.rebernik.at
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.