From:
"McManus,Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:55:48 +1200
Hello everyone:

We have been asked to assist with a community project involving the on-going
photographic recording of the development of our city and surroundings using
the same vantage points on a regular basis on an on-going basis. It is
envisaged that eventually the city will have an excellent record of changes
over a long period of time. As in many cities, I guess, such a project is
about 100 years overdue but it is felt that now is better than never and
on-going funding is available to begin immediately.

I was wondering if anybody has been involved with similar projects around
the world and, if so, can offer insights into logistics, etc.

Specific questions we are currently grappling with include:

1.  What is a reasonable frequency for taking the photographs? i.e. Is
annually too frequent? Two years, five years, what??

2.  How did you choose the vantage points? i.e. How did you decide what were
the most important aspects of the city to document    over time? Commercial
development, civic amenities, landscapes, what??

3.  Black and white or colour?? Both? Why?

4.  What provisions for long-term care and storage of the images, negatives,
etc.? Digital?

We would certainly appreciate any advice, suggestions or feedback anyone
might be able to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Greg McManus
Director