From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:17:51 -0500
I have been using a black, fine point, ink gel pen and a silver, medium point ink gel pen (for dark surfaces) by Pilot.  (I have yet to find a fine tipped, silver pen.)  They both write well on a base coat, neither has dried out (both are over a year old), and the ink dries quickly.  I have a Micron, but in my experience it always smears when I apply the top coat, so I gave it up.

On a whim I tried the ink gels.  I rarely have the smearing problem with the ink gels and when I do it's because I did not dip the brush into the acryloid with each application of top coat.  The pens are archival according to the manufacturer.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers  IN  46038

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/28/04 03:36PM >>>
We use the Micron archival ink pens when labeling several types of objects
in our collections.  I've found that these pens work really well...when they
work.   Does anyone know the secret to making them last/keeping the ink
running in them for more than a few weeks at a time?

Thanks for any help,

Mary J. Bade
Curator of Exhibits and Collections Management
Wisconsin Veterans Museum