From:
Rene Legler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:53:10 -0800
Dear Museum-L Members:

I have small holes in the caulking between cement floor sections in
my artifact storage room that need to be filled.  I am looking for a
caulk that has low VOC's and will be less harmful to the collections
which cannot be removed to do this project.  Does anyone one know
anything horrible about the below caulk or if there is a safer one
for collections storage rooms approved by conservators?  I have
mostly paper collections in my storage room - if that helps.

         AFM Safecoat Caulking Compound

         Where can I use it?
         AFM Caulking Compound is a multi-purpose product that is
safe and effective. Use for exterior   openings, venting and plumbing
areas, siding openings and masonry cracks. AFM Caulk can also
be         used for kitchen and bath purposes.  While it may not last
as long as a sililcone type caulk, it works  very well and is completely safe.
         What about mold and mildew?
         Caulk does not mold or mildew. What does mold and mildew is
the soap scum in the shower or bath         area that builds up above
or below the caulk over time.
         If the mold is on top of the caulk, use our
<http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/includes/showObject.cfm?independentPage=showInContext&objectID=686&objectType=Product&defaultLocation=SiteModel_public,49,/dbc/methods/Product/display/http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/utility/showProduct?objectID=734>HydroxiPro
cleaner to eliminate it.  If the mold is underneath      the caulk,
then the caulk will need to be peeled off and redone. Make sure the
surface has been         cleaned with HydroxiPro which will kill the
mold first before you apply the caulk, otherwise, it will   happen
all over again.
         Ingredients: Modified acrylic copolymer, Titanium dioxide
(white pigment), water, Magnesium     aluminum silicate, Muscovite
mica, Propylene Glycol, VOC: 53 g/litre excluding water, 32 g/litre
in     container.
         AFM Safecoat Caulking compound contains no formaldehyde or
other toxic preservatives. It provides a     water resistant,
flexible, easy to install, non sag sealant with excellent initial and
permanent adhesion.      Resin rich formula affords maximum bond strength.
         Coverage: 1/4 x 1/4 width and depth will cover apx. 25 lineal feet.
         Clean up: Clean tools and equipment while still wet with
Safechoice Super Clean and warm water or       any mild detergent and
warm water.
         Drying Curing Time: Under normal conditions, 24 hours for
full cure. Normal conditions include a        clean dry surface,
access to fresh air flow, a dust free environment, moderate humidity,
and    temperatures above 55 degrees F. Thick applications, high
humidity, or conditions other than normal     will cause Safecoat
Caulking Compound to cure more slowly.
         Ingredients: Modified Acrylic Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide,
Water, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate,  Muscovite Mica, propylene
Glycol, VOC: 53 gpl excluding water, 32 gpl in container.

Sincerely,

Rene Legler
Registrar
Columbia River Exhibition
of History, Science & Technology
95 Lee Boulevard
Richland, WA  99352
Phone:  509-943-9000
Fax:  509-943-1770

UPCOMING CREHST EVENTS (see our website for details - www.crehst.org):

The model Railroad, see it daily at CREHST
Antiques Appraisal Event - November 7, 2007
Remember When - January 2008
Night at the Museum - February 8, 2008
Einstein's Birthday Bash - March 14, 2008
Spring Swing 2008 - April 12, 2008
What Blooms - April 2008
ABC Walking Tours - May 2008