From:
Holly Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:25:04 -0500
Does anyone know how archival heavyweight sheet protectors are (Avery
PV119G-74107)????  The package says archival safe and acid free but I know
that can be dubious.

Our museum uses these sheet protectors to store object identification
photographs in our manilla file folders. The photographs are not really the
best photographs we have available and certainly not adequate for
publication -our inhouse photographer stores negatives of images used for
publication. These ID photos are being used just for identifying the art
objects.

 Does anyone know of the sheet protectors' lifespan, will it off-gas, will
it eventually detroy the photographs? Does anyone know of another product
that can be used that is inexpensive (I think Mylar envelopes are $8.00 for
a pack of 10 and we have thousands of photos)?

I thank you in advance for any help or comments you can send my way.

Holly Chase
Assistant Registrar
Museum of Art, Brigham Young University
  North Campus Drive